What can an MP do?

What is an MP?

The House of Commons is made up of 650 Members of Parliament (MPs), each representing one constituency. The Saffron Walden constituency has approximately 100,000 constituents and Kemi’s role is to represent the people of the Saffron Walden constituency in Westminster.

MPs split there time between working in Parliament and working in the constituency.

Strict Parliamentary protocol means that Members of Parliament can only deal with issues raised by their own constituents. Kemi Badenoch MP can therefore only help you if you are a resident of The Saffron Walden constituency. If you are not a resident, you should contact your MP directly. To check if you are one of my constituents, please enter your postcode on the Parliament website.

What can an MP do to help?

An MP can try to help you with all matters for which Parliament or central government is responsible, such as:

  • HM Revenue and Customs Department- tax or national insurance matters
  • Department for Work and Pensions- benefits and pension matters
  • Home Office- matters regarding immigration and passports
  • Department of Health- matters regarding hospitals and the National Health Service (NHS)


If you feel there has been unnecessary delay or maladministration you may refer your case to the Ombudsman. You can take your case to all Ombudsmen yourself, except for the Parliamentary Ombudsman, who can only be approached by an MP.

If you wish for me to refer your case to the Parliamentary Ombudsman, you must send me the completed Ombudsman forms. I will look at your case before referring it to the Ombudsman, however an MP may decide not to pass on your complaint, if deemed unnecessary.

What an MP cannot do

An MP cannot intervene with legal matters or court cases, nor interfere with decisions previously made in court. They also cannot provide any financial or business advice.

An MP is not able to assist in settling family arguments or private disputes with neighbours, employers or consumer matters.

If your problem concerns the Local Government (Council), you should have exhausted the internal complaints procedure at the Council before you contact your MP.

Local Government is two-tier in our area meaning the delivery of services is split between Essex County Council and Uttlesford District Council and Chelmsford City Council.

Essex County Council manage services including: highways, schools, social services, libraries and heritage.

Uttlesford District Council and Chelmsford City Council manage services including: planning and building control, refuse collection, benefits, council tax collection, parking, housing and leisure.

As an MP, Kemi has no jurisdiction over planning applications or parking concerns. However, if you have exhausted the authority’s complaints procedure, Kemi may write to the them, on your behalf, to highlight the concerns you have.

If you are unsure of who to go to or you have a problem of a more general nature then your nearest Citizens' Advice Bureau will be able to guide you.

If you are unsure as to whether Kemi can help, please do telephone the office on 0207 219 1943 for advice.